- Theatre Survey
|2020 Conference Proposal Process|
ASTR’s 2020 Conference will take place in New Orleans, Louisiana at the Astor Crowne Plaza Hotel from November 5th-8th, 2020. The city’s rich and complicated history of theatre and performance makes it a perfect location for an ASTR meeting. In choosing the hotel, the ASTR leadership was mindful of selecting a space that would be accessible and inviting to all members. Located at the intersection of Canal and Bourbon Streets, the Crowne Plaza Hotel is in the heart for the French Quarter. It offers an affordable rate with many amenities and conference programming options in an ADA compliant hotel near restaurants, cafes, and shops, and other attractions. We hope this choice of venue makes it possible for more people to attend the 2020 conference.
We are no longer accepting proposals from members who wish to serve as Program Chair(s) for this conference. Details about the selection process are below. Beginning with this 2020 conference, no more than three people may serve as Program Chairs for any single conference.
2020 Conference Program Chair and Theme Selection Process
1) Deadline for applications: Applications due on 14 September 2018 are for the 2020 conference. Applications should be submitted to the Vice President for Conferences, Jill Stevenson, who will distribute them to the Committee on Conferences. Once the call for proposals officially opens, the form will be available here and proposals should be emailed to email@example.com. You will receive a confirmation of receipt within 48 hours. If you do not, please contact Jill directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Application materials: Members will submit a CV for each proposed program chair, along with a form requesting the following:
3) Selection Procedure: The Committee on Conferences will perform the first round of review immediately after receiving proposals on 14 September 2018. Within two weeks, they will select two or three finalist proposals, and will ask for further information from those applicants. Such information may include: (C) Relationship of live performance events (or similar) to the conference planning and theme; (D) Specific interest in or ideas for the already-selected location for the conference; (E) Responses to suggestions and/or questions from the Committee on Conferences.
The Committee on Conferences will select one proposal to present to the EC at or before the annual fall meeting. The timeline for selection will be:
4) Evaluation: The following questions will be used in evaluating proposals, and will be publicized within the calls for program chair applications:
The Committee on Conferences also encourages applicants to consider how their proposed theme and their approach to conference planning will further ASTR’s explicit charge to promote, support, and feature work by, about, and with under-represented groups, including communities of color, LGBTQ communities, Disability communities, and communities of scholars without regularized institutional support.
5) Selected program chairs will have conference registration fees paid by ASTR in (1) the year prior to their conference (with the expectation that they would hold meetings with their program committee) and (2) the year of their conference.