This subvention, up to a maximum of $600, supports the costs of securing rights to reproduce illustrations for publication, costs of acquiring illustrations, and/or the costs of reproducing illustrations in conjunction with a book under contract for publication. (Electronic publications will also be considered.)
An independent or affiliated scholar holding a terminal degree and who has been a member of ASTR for at least three of the last five years is eligible to apply. Applicants must hold a contract to qualify. Preference will be given to junior scholars. If the book does not proceed to publication the award will be withdrawn.
Application: A complete application consists of:
- A letter from the publisher certifying that the manuscript is complete, has been vetted by external referees, and is scheduled for publication at a specific date;
- A 150-word abstract of the project;
- A list of illustrations proposed for the book (including captions and credits);
- A longer but concise narrative description of the project, such as a book proposal, indicating its procedures, goals, and significance within the field of theater/performance studies;
- A detailed budget for the subvention, indicating the portion of expenses that ASTR funds will be used to underwrite;
- And, a two-page curriculum vitae indicating academic rank (where appropriate) and years in current rank or years in the field.
All documents (applications, curriculum vitae, etc.)
should be attached below.
Documents should be uploaded in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft
Word (.doc or .docx) format.
Committee members will consider the merit of the project within the field of theatre/dance/performance studies and of the individual scholar's academic research endeavors.
Please direct questions to Committee Chair Stephani Etheridge Woodson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for 2018 nominations has passed.
View previous Brooks McNamara Publishing Subvention winners here.