Welcome to ASTR! Our vibrant organization offers many benefits and services to its members. Below you can find answers to frequently asked questions and links to other essential information about our publications, conferences, and other member activities and services.
Diversity of ASTR: The American Society for Theatre Research attracts scholars from a broad range of disciplines and seeks to promote cohesion in an increasingly diverse field. Among all fields in the arts and humanities in higher education, theatre and performance studies is taught in the widest number of departments. ASTR aspires to provide a forum for all theatre and performance scholars, in whatever department they may teach. It also welcomes independent scholars and other professionals involved in theatre and performance studies.
Benefits and membership:
- Community of scholars in the fields of theatre, dance and performance studies
- Forum for discussion and development of current scholarship
- Opportunities to present work at the annual conference
- Connection to a network of professional colleagues
- Access to the ASTR member directory and news
- Participation in the active, professional and collegial ASTR e-mail discussion list - serv
- Eligibility for ASTR awards, fellowships, grants and prizes
- Email announcements of important opportunities in the organization and in the field
- Subscription to Theatre Survey, a premiere journal in the field, including online access via this website
- Graduate Student Caucus (GSC), a nationally organized community of graduate students
- Graduate students are encouraged to join the Graduate Student Caucus
- To inquire about service on committees, contact Jonathan Chambers.
- Mentorship via conference mentors and the President’s Reception for Younger Scholars
Membership Costs & Procedure:
- Membership Dues – Regular: $115 / Retired: $40 / Student: $35
- Non-U.S. postage surcharge: $7.50
- The current ASTR dues year is September 1, 2010 – August 31, 2011.
Membership in ASTR is open to theatre and performance scholars, professionals and students.