Join | Contact Us | Print Page | Sign In
GSC Meeting Minutes
Group Home Group Home Group Pages
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Minutes: Conference Assistance Committee Meeting 0 A. Jeong Conference Assistance Committee Meeting: Areum Jeong, Ira Murfin8 April 2014 1:00 PM (PST)To include in the Conference Navigation/Need to know blog:- How to get the most out of working sessions: Guest post by a junior scholar who has participated multiple times and (co)organized working group sessions.- How to get the most out of the mentor/mentee programs: Contact the Peer Mentorship Committee and request guest post by Shamell and/or Christiana -- contact Danielle for their emails- How to get the most out of meetings with publishers: Guest post by an editor of a university press on how to turn the dissertation into a book -- contact UC Press- Resources for international students: list of funding resources that international students are eligible to apply for -- contact Kellen- Bulletin board on the ASTR GSC webpage OR separate Google group for graduate student needs, such as shared rides from the airport, etc. -- contact Danielle
by A. Jeong
Tuesday, April 8, 2014
Minutes: Conference Assistance Committee Meeting 0 A. Jeong Conference Assistance Committee Meeting: Areum Jeong, Ira Murfin25 February 2014 11:00 AM (PST) 1. Distribution of Conference Assistance Subcommittees * Food & Drink: David Bisaha, Jacob Hellman, Gina Sandi-Diaz* Arts & Entertainment: Aaron Kelly, Hayley Rushing, Katie Van Winkle* Transportation: Lydia Abel, Kim Richards* Conference Navigation/Need to Know: Areum Jeong, Ira Murfin, Sara Rofofsky Marcus 2. Timeline * Areum and Ira will distribute assignments to subcommittees by early March.- Subcommittees (such as Food & Drink and Arts & Entertainment) will be in touch with each other in order to coordinate their findings.- Subcommittees will be encouraged to provide brief narratives about info using previous conference packets as reference.* Subcommittees will submit their findings by the end of August.* Areum and Ira will compile and organize the info and submit it to the ASTR staff by early September.
by A. Jeong
Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Minutes: Conference Assistance Committee Meeting 0 A. Jeong Conference Assistance Committee Meeting: Areum Jeong, Ira Murfin6 January 2014 10:00 AM PST 1. Committee Plan- Send out a call for graduate students who are interested in serving on the Conference Assistance Committee via the GSC list-serv, Facebook, and Twitter.- Applicants should email the top three subcommittees they are interested in serving on by 10 February 2014.- Areum and Ira will notify them by early March. 2. Subcommittee- Divide tasks among conference navigation, dining, entertainment/nightlife, hotel, transportation (local/travel).- Entertainment as a broader category than solely nightlife--search for dance, museums, music, and theater in Baltimore. - The dining and entertainment subcommittee could work together and compile a list of dining options near entertainment events.- Info narrative could be modeled after the Nashville conference packet. If you would like to get involved with the Conference Assistance Committee, contact Areum Jeong at areumjeong@gmail.com or Ira Murfin at ira-murfin@u.northwestern.edu.
by A. Jeong
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
Minutes: GSC Committee Meeting 12/17/2013 0 D. Rosvally, University at Buffalo - SUNY ASTR GSC COMMITTEE MTGMeeting AgendaDecember 17, 20135:00 PM CST I. Call to order II. Roll Call Here: Areum, Ira, Danielle, Shamell, Amanda Absent: Christiana III. Open Issues A. Clarification of Committee Chair Responsibilities Areum/Ira – Kellen is going to send info; need contacts from Kellen Shamell – needs to get in contact with previous comm. Chairs 2 chairs per committee (sans web) so that there are more hands to help! Delegation/team effort – important! Ambassador program shifted to peer mentorship – grads helping grads B. GSC Handbook Edits Edits go to Marla C. ASTR 2013 Recap What worked? What didn’t work in terms of graduate student interests? Ira asked about usefulness of nightlife/performance section (conf. asst. comm.) Maybe narrow it to walking distance Maybe it depends on the city – what we need varies with the city Some people definitely use it Shamell asked about what did NOT work last year PM Comm: lack of communication, the sad table, there was also supposed to be a table at the opening reception, visibility of the GSC in ASTR (why are graduate students separate from the whole?) Shamell asked about mentorship with scholars Some grads had to "share” scholars Michelle wants to find out if there is a more strategic way to put mentors with mentees Shamell liked that she had a grad (who was farther in the program) and a scholar mentor that she was paired with. Maybe invite those who are in dissertation-land to mentorship pairings – wide range of experiences Michelle wants/ needs an open communication between her and the chairs (and/or her and Kellen) Keep Michelle and Kellen in the LOOP!! Feedback on Web Miss communication of emails, therefore resources were not as visible Professionalization posting ASTR is rigorous, professional attire is the situation whether we admit that or not Check blogs before we post them IV. New Business . Committee Action Plan New Initiatives On your own, come up with some ideas! Include ideas from Dallas meeting. Make meeting minutes open and available (committee meeting minutes) Recruitment EC Follow-up Contact We will chat more via email or later group chats! V. Remarks VI. Adjournment 6:00pm (CST) Here is a list of duties and responsibilities for committee members as listed by committee. Feel free to use this, delete, or add-to. I’m hoping this will help you recruit members of your committees. We will talk about this more next week, but consider using social media and our strong web presences to recruit grads. Conference Assistance Committee:Co-Chairs: Areum Jeong and Ira MurfinThe responsibilities for a position on this committee includes:· Assist with compiling and preparing the annual conference resource packet for ASTR 2014; · Assist with any other graduate student conference needs; Peer Mentorship CommitteeCo-Chairs: Shamell Bell and Christiana Molldrem HarkulichThe responsibilities for a position on this committee includes: · Assistance in recruiting volunteers for the ASTR mentor/mentee program. You will work with the co-chairs to recruit and select junior and senior scholars to mentor graduate students for ASTR 2014 in Baltimore. The committee will then assign mentor/mentees as per the discretion of the co-chairs; · Work on developing conference events that encourage mentorship for Graduate Student Networking;· Assist the VP, Representative to the Annual Conference Committee (Kellen Hoxworth) to implement and support GSC conference related projects; Web Resources Committee:Chair: Danielle RosvallyThe responsibilities for a position on this committee includes: · Assist with editing and preparing graduate student resource information and committee resources to be posting on the ASTR website and across social media;· Help manage the graduate student resource page on the ASTR website;· Help manage various website pages for updated information and screen for appropriate content.
by D. Rosvally, University at Buffalo - SUNY
Monday, January 6, 2014
Minutes: GSC Meeting Dallas 11/9/2013 0 D. Rosvally, University at Buffalo - SUNY GSC Meeting ASTR Nov. 9, 2013 @ 9:00pmDallas, TX - Kellyn’s introduction and welcome - 31 (plus past and incoming EC) - Michelle’s welcome - Outgoing EC o Kellyno Eeroo Allan o Michelleo Michael - New EC o Michelleo Allan o Kelleno Amandao Sara - Former Committee members - Heather Nathans o Increase of Grad students at ASTRo Grow next set of leaderso "Charting the course” (strategic planning) - Highlights from 2012-2013 o Increase of graduate student presence (180 members)o Social media (FB, Twitter)o Increased fellowship (more $$!) – § $1800 · (20 fellows)§ Decrease in desk hourso Mentor matching § Match scholars with mentees based on research interests o 1st ever career session!!§ "best practices”§ booklet, manifesto - Conference Committee (Eero) o CFP - Web Committee o ASTR Website – awesomely updated!o Twitter Feed - Fundraising Committee o Increase in operating budget for ASTRo Potential budget for GSC!! - Conference Assistant - Peer Mentoring - Michelle’s plans o Budgeto How to move our scholarship forward? Further represented in the organization? Feedback – what do YOU want to see at ASTR? - Support for adjuncts, TAs, and "soon out” PhD – need for a conversation- Career sessions for MA, MFA, etc. o "Is the PhD right for me?” - Conversations about international students o Issues with material, financial concerns, etc. - Faculty making themselves available for specific criticisms for job applications- GSC meeting earlier in the conference Wednesday/Thursday- Sliding scale of registration fee/membership fee o Off campus housing for conferences (conference assistance packet) o Frustrations with DALLAS
by D. Rosvally, University at Buffalo - SUNY
Monday, January 6, 2014

© 2017 | American Society for Theatre Research (ASTR)

All rights reserved.

1000 Westgate Drive, Suite. 252 | St. Paul, MN 55114 | Phone: 651.288.3429 | Fax: 651.290.2266 | Email: info@astr.org